I am a new member on this forum and split my time between the UK and India. I joined the forum as I have just begun the process of buying a GSP pup.
I am in the process of buying a male GSP pup from a very reputed breeder in the UK. The pup I chose has excellent pedigree and champion bloodlines and is about 9-weeks old. Unfortunately it has a small (< 1cm dia) umbilical hernia that was pointed out by the breeder. They say that its not a major problem and could potentially disappear and say that they have had the occasional dog that has had this condition. They are happy to have it surgically fixed if I so desire.
I am planning on shipping the pup to India to serve as a companion for my 18-month old Golden Retriever. I am not planning on showing the pup etc. or being a major breeder - and just want a second family pet and I love the GSP breed and have wanted one for a long time. My questions are the following:
- Is this is a major problem? I have had conflicting opinions on this although nobody has said its a major problem. I have seen other adult dogs with this condition and doesn't seem to have affected them.
- Is there any major side-effect or healthcare issue that I should worry about?
- If the surgery is done now (at 9 weeks), how long would I have to wait before the pup makes the journey in the aircraft? The original plan was to ship on August 31st so that would be about 7-8 weeks from now and when the pup was about 16-18 weeks old. Would this be a problem?
- Should this generally be a major concern and should I just pick another one in the litter in order to save myself a heap of trouble? Its just that I really like this one.
Your views are greatly appreciated.