Hello all! Well Hannah had an interesting trip to the vet yesterday. She went in for her annual check-up and yearly vaccination. She had a rash on her tummy that the vet diagnosed as a simple Staph infection. She had no temp. and was as active as ever so the vet prescribed Cephalexin and said it would be fine. I know this type of infection is caused by the Staph. bacteria (I had a severe staph. infection as a child) and am wondering where Hannah may have come in contact with the bacteria? I feel like the world's worst owner Has anyone delt with Staph. or have advice? Anything is appreciated.
You may want to check out this response on a different thread: www.shorthairs.net/GSPForum/tabid/220/forumid/2/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/623/Default.aspx#870
Staph is Staphylococcus. It's not a specific bacteria it's whole Genus. There are thousands of different species most of which are totally harmless.
Staph aureus is one that is a common skin bacteria that is normally present, get a few scrapes and it starts to cause a problem.
Bacteria are just part of life. Summer conditions especially when it's wet just cause them to bloom. CR
Your not a bad owner...sometimes these things happen and we don't have any control over it . I am glad Hannah is doing well now.